Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Another Place

This is another place where I spend a lot of wasted time. It does offer an opportunity for prayer and mediation, I'll give it that. This is called a "haibun" -- half prose, half haiku.

Waiting at the Gatehouse


A mix of parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, spouses, friends, and lovers patiently wait to be called. All nationalities, shapes and sizes share the time. I am reminded of Anna Akhmatova’s Requiem, and am ashamed of my impatience. We the waiting become one in prayer.


Leningrad -- Norfolk
snowflakes fall on both prisons
one tormented cry

1 comment:

Doug P. Baker said...

I can see the Anna Akmatova connection. Requiem is an awesome work, although I only know it in translation. I would have thought of Osadchy's Cataract.

Oh, but your "one tormented cry;" it simply stops the heart!

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...