Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dominique Green

I just finished reading A Saint On Death Row, The Story of Dominique Green, by Thomas Cahill. I don't know whether I liked it, or not. I don't know whether to recommend it, or not. I don't know what to think. Odd! It's strange because I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm surprised that the author, Thomas Cahill would write such an obviously subjective book. Cahill is the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, The Gifts of the Jews, etc.. I consider him as giving scholarly objective views. A Saint on Death Row, from the "get go" paints Dominique as an innocent victim of society.

Yes, Dominique had a terrible upbringing. Hell! so do a lot of people, and they don't turn to crime. He didn't get out that environment. He got too caught up in it before he even wanted to get out. What happened......happened. Was he guilty? You never know.

What interested me was his transformation, inside prison. I loved that. I've seen it myself. I think that maybe some people, for the first time in their lives, have structure. Improbably, they also have opportunities. Yes, opportunities! They actually have the time, without being doped up, or drunk, to consider their lives. There are also opportunities to learn from others, programs offered, and to meet God. Ah, yes........God.

You have to be quiet to hear His voice.

Dominique did hear that whisper. He was transformed. That was a good story, but not the one that is staying with me. I couldn't get over the fact that this country, the U.S.A., is one of the few civilized countries that still have the death penalty; along with Iran, Iraq, China and some other non Christian countries. Yikes! We're aligned with them! Deplorable.

It doesn't really matter whether Dominique was guilty or not. The fact is he ended up on Death Row because he was black and poor. Ha! Not having a good lawyer is the determining factor in all too many cases.

Sigh..........it's time to overhaul our justice system. I know that true justice is not found in this world. But it's time.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...