Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Funnies


This morning I actually read the Funnies. I haven't done that since I was a kid. I enjoyed every single one of them. I even laughed out loud (LOL)!

What surprised me was the contemporary adult content of the Funnies. And I'm not talking about vulgar language or references, either. I mean that the Funnies weren't written for kids, but for adults. The children wouldn't get it.

My favorite was Adam @ Home by Brian Basset. The first frame shows a father and son on their way to buy a fresh Christmas tree. The son comments, "I thought you told Mom we were going to get a fake tree." The other frames tell Dad's point of view: "bad idea," "tradition, great smell," "Mom doesn't mind the dropped needles and the garbage men need the work picking them up." The son says that these are all "thin arguments." The last frame shows the son saying that "Some traditions evolve." To which, Dad responds, "Like the tradition of parents buying gifts for their children?" Sonny ends with, "A real tree it is!"

That one I enjoyed the most, but there was one that proves my point that the Funnies are written for adults. It is Doonesbury by Garry Trudeau. The guys were talking about how they enjoyed reading the Sunday Funnies with their parents. So they text the kids to join them in the family room to read the Funnies. No one came.

Do you think a kid would think that was funny?

No I thought not.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...