Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fr. Lataste Discussion

Aug. 11, 2010, I blogged about Fr. M. Jean-Joseph Lataste, O.P. and the retreat that he gave to the women. prisoners in Cadillac, France, in 1864.  At the time, I couldn't get over the fact that these sermons were written over one hundred years ago, and I was still feeling moved by them.  Well, today in chapter we discussed these sermons.  And it turns out, that I wasn't the only one.  Some of my "cloistered brothers" were moved, also.  Yes, some admitted to crying.  Can you imagine the impact of hearing and seeing Fr. Lataste in person; when we're moved just by reading? 

He must have had a very charismatic personality.  And don't forget; these were written in 1864. 

Let me give you a little taste of Lataste:

Christ our Savior was on the cross, and all the people -- soldiers, Scribes, Pharisees and the priests -- everyone who was there -- insulted and mocked him.  (Matt 27; Luke 23)  Two thieves were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left.  One was stubborn and self-willed; neither punishment nor kindness had any effect on him.  He was quite insensible to the goodness of Our Lord, expressed in his every word and especially in his prayer for his enemies and executioners.  He was almost insensible to his own suffering.  All he could think about was insulting and blaspheming. "If you are the Christ," he said, "prove it.  Save yourself and us."  But the other reproved him saying, "Are you not ashamed?  You have been condemned to the same punishment.  What is more, we are suffering a just punishment of our crimes, but this man has done nothing."  Then in a sublime act of faith and hope, he said, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom."  And Jesus replied, "This day you shall be with me in Paradise."  But to the other, he said nothing.  As far as we know, he died still blaspheming.

My sisters, how right the Apostle was when he said that it is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God.  If there is anyone here, who is obstinately refusing the grace of this retreat, -- think again!  You are playing a dangerous game.  You are faced with the justice of God.  But no, there is no one like that here, I am sure.  Forgive me, if I have spoken harshly.  I will not do so again.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...