Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Church at Night


I love to be alone in the Church at night.  My parish church's basement is like a parish hall.  Meetings go on down there.  There's also a chapel, but because of the meetings right beyond the closed door, it's kind of noisy.  I can tune that out.  But it's the light that I don't like.  It's too bright.

So I sneak upstairs to the darkened main church.  If I'm lucky, the door's unlocked, and I can go in.  Immediately, the darkness hits me.  There is nobody here but me and Jesus in the Tabernacle.  I feel like I have His undivided attention.  Yeah, yeah...I'm not talking theology.  I'm talking poetically.  It is a special feeling.  This church that I know so well, is just different, at night.  The feel of it is different.  The atmosphere is more still than in the day.  Solitude is felt deeply.

And I know you'll think I'm crazy, but His Presence is felt more poignantly.  (I told you, this isn't theology.)  My prayer is deeper.  My trust palpable.  My faith bonded securely.   WOWZA

Am I afraid of being alone in the dark building?  Nope, not in the least.  I'm more afraid when jogging, alone.

Once, or maybe twice, I've encountered strangers in the dark.  I was startled, but not afraid.  One was a strange young man who very quickly ran by me, down the stairs, and out the door.  He must have been praying like me.  The other time was  heralded by the sound of water.  I saw a man near the altar.  And to tell you the truth, I thought he was desecrating the altar (I did hear water!).  But all he was doing was watering the flowers.  It was the new, young priest that had just been assigned to the church.  He was running around, watering the flowers.  I don't know who I thought watered the flowers, but the priests weren't even on the list.  But I suppose, why not?

Anyway, I'm usually alone--just me and my Beloved.   And it's a special moment.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...