Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Media Madness

This morning my alarm clock radio woke me up with the news reporting that the Pope says it's "OK" to use condoms.
 That woke me up!
And I woke up disgusted, and grumbling to my self.  My husband knows enough to stay under the radar, but the poor cat got thrown out in the cold without her breakfast.  I was in no mood for her demands.

You and I know the Pope said no such thing.  He has never, is not, and will never, "OK" condoms.  Condoms promote promiscuity which in turn lead to a multiple of physical, emotional, mental, and societal problems.  One of which is Aids.

What is going on here is a publicity promotion.

This week, Peter Seewald's book, Light of the World was released.  The style of the book is an interview the Pope gave to Seewald, who is a journalist.
   
Are you getting the picture?


"There may be a basis in the case of some individuals, as perhaps when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility, on the way toward recovering an awareness that not everything is allowed and that one cannot do whatever one wants.  But it is not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection. That can really lie only in a humanization of sexuality.
Are you saying, then, that the Catholic Church is actually not opposed in principle to the use of condoms?
She of course does not regard it as a real or moral solution, but, in this or that case, there can be nonetheless, in the intention of reducing the risk of infection, a first step in a movement toward a different way, a more human way, of living sexuality."

Leave it to the media to screw it up.  What the Pope is saying is that male prostitutes (he's giving an example) may be using a condom to protect themselves and others from disease.  IOW, sexual pleasure is not the highest value; not harming another is the concern.  In this way, the prostitute is making a moral decision.  B16 is not talking about the morality of the condom's use, but to the psychological state of the prostitute.  Perhaps, he hopes it is so.  If the male prostitute is using the condom to not spread disease, then we pray he may realize that promiscuity is inherently wrong since his type of sexual activity is not in accord with the way God intended sexual activity to be used.


I'm sick of the media.  As I've blogged before on July 30, and September 23, 25, 30, of this year, the media will say anything to sell its product.  My first inclination is to throw my apron off and retreat to the Cape and vegetate.  But on second thought, as attractive as that may be, I feel called to do battle.  I may still head down to the Cape, but not to retreat.  I'm fighting the modern, cultural spin, to what is the Truth.  I'll do my part to expose the misconstruction and throw light on what is true.  
I'll hang in there for the duration.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...