Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fun Comedy of Errors

Ducks swim at Bayside, too.

It all started when I over slept on Friday, July 1st.  I usually  wake up before the radio alarm at 5:30 AM.  Friday, my bed seemed extra cozy and comfortable when I awoke.  I thought I'd just snuggle down under the covers and wait for the radio to go off, and maybe I'd listen to the news and weather.

It seemed that it was awfully bright, however.  Mmmmmmm.  Usually it's dark at 5:00 AM.  So I rolled over and looked at the radio clock.

7:30 AM !!

Yikes!  I shot out of bed, threw on my clothes, and flew to work.  (I didn't even brush my teeth!)  And from then on, all weekend, it seemed like I was racing from one thing to another.

Work was crazy!  Everybody I needed was on vacation.  Fiscal Year 2011 closed yesterday--June 30th.  Do you know how many unpaid invoices are still coming in?  Do you know how many 2011 Purchase Orders don't have enough money to pay those unknown bills?  Do you also realize that that week was a split payroll--two Fiscal Years on one pay check?

Better that you don't know.  It would make no difference whatsoever to have more people stressing.

After work, I rushed to a T.O.P.S. meeting.  We had more gained than loss for the month of June.  The goals we set for last week weren't met, so why make new ones?  My weight was the same, but I had expected to lose.  Bummer.

After T.O.P.S., some friends unexpectedly invited me to lunch at a new restaurant in town.  WTF??

By the time I finally came home, I was too tired to drive down the Cape.  I hadn't finished packing, anyway, and the radio was reporting traffic back ups.

I thought I'd get an early start Saturday, morning.  I didn't even go to my usual Mass at the Abbey.  I was on the road to the Cape by 7:10 AM.  Do you know I ran into traffic!  An hour drive took me three hours--at 7:00 in the morning!

But it was worth it.  Once I crossed over the Bourne Bridge, I kicked the dust off my sandals and sang
Old Cape Cod.  I thought I'd be waking everyone up, but no one was home.  The boat was still moored but the canoe was missing.

Well, I thought I'd go to the beach to relax.  I drove to Menauhant--closed--the parking lot was full.  OK.  The next beach was Bristol--closed--the parking lot was full.  That was it; I went home and stretched out in a chaise lounge, in the back yard.

After awhile, I thought I'd unpack and look around to see what I could prepare for supper.  Guess what?  I forgot one of my suitcases.  Bummer.

I made a wine cooler and sat down to read a book on Kindle.  Kindle told me my battery was low.

But I can read on my iPhone.

iPhone also told me that my battery was low.  I may not have brought a charger for my Kindle; nor a charger for my iPhone, but I had a charger in my car for the iPhone.  Errrr, I didn't have the fuel to waste though.  And I was not planning to get more gas on the Cape.  Who do you think I am--a tourist?  Everything on the Cape is more expensive than at home.

#*@%*+^!!!!!!!

It's a good thing that "I'm smarter than the average bear," because I brought my lap top.  At least I can blog.

Well....I could have if I had a router.  My husband took it home for some unknown reason.  When I asked him about it, he answered, "What's a router?"

....you have to just love him.

Mmmmmm.  No Kindle, no iPhone, no computer, no beach, ..... I went for a bike ride.  The damn contraption skipped in second gear.  OK, my thigh muscles needed strengthening anyway.

Finally, family and friends came home: sunburned, salty, sandy, sweaty, and surly.  But that's nothing that a few wine coolers for the adults, and some chocolate milk for the kiddies couldn't cure.

After showers, and supper, and s'mores, we sat around the fire pit and chatted.   Actually, we sat around the remains of the fire pit, and chatted.  You see, the fire pit that I gave hubby on Father's day (not even a month ago) was run over in the dark, when hubby was backing up the truck in the back yard to unload sand for our Granddaughter's sand box.

It's nice to sit around a fire in the dark, on a cool night, when you feel your sunburn cool down.  It's nice to have family and friends around you.

The next day was Sunday and I planned to go to the earliest Mass to avoid all the people.  It's a good thing I went early because the Mass became so full, there was standing room only--at 7:30 AM.  People parked in the cemetery!  After Mass, some of our guests left.  They only planned to stay one night which was a good thing because my other daughter and her family came down.  Yay!!!! My granddaughter came; she's going to be "one" in a few weeks.

Sunday wasn't a sunny day so the beaches weren't crowded.  We went to Nobska Lighthouse beach.  We only stayed for awhile because without the sun, it was a little chilly.  This was little Lucy's first time in the ocean.  She loved it!  She didn't understand how come this water didn't taste like her water.  It was funny to see her expressions.  She'd stick her fingers in a wave and then suck on them and look puzzled.  She didn't know if this was yucky or not.  It looked like water.  It felt like water.  It kind of taste like water.  But....

The next day we planned to take the boat to the island, but it wouldn't start.  Again!  Hubby was so angry he called the marina to trade it in.  So we went to the little association beach, a walk away.  Bayside Beach is perfect for toddlers like Lucy.  But you know, she was afraid of the water.  Yesterday, in the open ocean with waves, she loved it.  Today, no waves and she was afraid.  There were people and children everywhere and Lucy liked to just watch the other kids.  She was tired and fell asleep on a towel.

My daughters' family went home that night, leaving hubby and me alone for a day.  We were glad because we had cleaning and straightening up to do.  We had run out of propane in the barbecue; it's a good thing we had a spare.  Since I had forgotten the suitcase with my work clothes and shirts, I had to do some laundry.  I wore my bathing suit all weekend--even to church.  Of course I put a skirt on, but the top was my bathing suit.

And it was good to be alone.  Did I tell you that the Fourth of July is our wedding anniversary?  Yup.  What do you think the fireworks are for?

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...