Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This Sunday's Readings

My parish has two Lectors at each Mass.  That's not my preference but that's the way it is.  It's a gimmick to show the people that we're diverse, i.e., one old/one young, one male/one female, etc.    Or in my grumpy morning temperament: one casual dresser/one formal, one no one can hear/one drama queen, one who doesn't know what he's doing/one show off, etc.


I digress.  What I wanted to post was my thoughts on the Readings from the Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time.  My part is the Second Reading, Romans 8:28-30.  At first glance, I noticed that it's the shortest of all the Readings.  So, you think it would be the easiest, but it looks sing/song.  I'll have to be careful.  My second reading of it struck me.  There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.


"All things work for the good of those who love God." How many times has this sentence given me courage and comfort?   Whatever comes my way, the thought of God's love has sustained me.  Now I have to pray for the ability to proclaim this message to His people.  Holy Spirit speak for me.


Now look at the Gospel, Matthew 13:44-52.  I wonder what message the homilist will give.  For sure, it won't be my take on it.  I see a man who covets what is not his, i.e., someone else's treasure.  It obviously is not "Finder's keepers; losers weepers."  The man sells everything?  How stupid can you get?  Everything?  Everything to obtain something that isn't yours?  To me this is wrong.


I'll post the message Father gives on this Gospel, Sunday.

    No comments:

    Shepherd One

     Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...