Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

St. Augustine

Today is Sunday so I'm not celebrating his feast day at Mass.  Rather I'm giving him honor as a Holy Father to the Order of Preachers.  Along with St. Francis, Augustine, is called our Holy Father, along with Saint Dominic. The Dominicans follow the Rule of Augustine.  Also, Dominic was an Augustinian Canon.

Since my Dominican Study Group is reading the Confessions, I have a new appreciation of him.  I've always enjoyed his sayings:

Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.


Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.


Faith is to believe what you do not see.  The reward of this faith is to see what you believe. 


I want my friend to miss me as long as I miss him.


It was pride that made angels into devils; it is humility that makes men into angels.


Love and do what you like.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...