Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Burying the Alleluia



Did your parish bury the Alleluia? I don't know if mine did; I was at a new parish. They didn't. I don't think I've ever seen it. I'd like to. I love ceremony and drama. As I understand the tradition, there was drama and ceremony in abundance.

There was a solemn procession from the church to the parish cemetery transporting a coffin with the word "Alleluia" on it. Some mourners sincerely grieved, some wept openly, along the way to the cemetery, where "Alleluia" was buried until Easter.

Can't you just picture it. We mourners bawling our eyes out, waiting for the traffic light to turn green, so we can process across the street. Those Baptists counting out their Jack Chick tracts coming out of Grace Baptist Church will wonder who died. We'll bury the box next to the grave stone that has a hand print--you know the one that kids put their hand in, and if it fits, it means you're going to DIE. Yeah. Oh yeah.

Sigh. I'd love it.

But the drama has just begun; just wait for the Resurrection.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...