Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Argument over a Discussion of the Trinity

Meditating for ten minutes on the weather and listening to raindrops ping antiphonally on the tin roof has culminated in an argument.

Q.  Is it meditation or wasting time?
A.  Well, that’s a meditation in itself.
Q.  Ugh.  You’re impossible.  Aren’t you just excusing your laziness?
A.  Define Lazy.
Q.  See?  Snap out of it.  Sit up straight and get your act together, and tell me about the Trinity.
A.  Can’t.  And you know it.  Didn’t Duff and I write a formation module trying to define it?  And don’t ask me what happened to it, because I don’t know.  It was probably rejected and thrown away.  It was all straw, anyway.
Q.  What do you think about the Trinity, right this moment?
A.   Well…the first thing that comes to mind is that John Tauler said that to feel the Blessed Trinity is the sweetest experience.  And I was just wondering how does one “feel” the Trinity.
Q.  Didn’t you say, just the other day, that Mary experienced the Trinity; she felt the Father’s love, received the Holy Spirit, and conceived Jesus. 
A.  I vaguely remember.  Who was I talking to?  Father Joe?  My “cloistered brothers”?  Sister Ann?  Did I write it?  Ugh…don’t bother an old lady.
Q.  It doesn’t matter who or when or how.  We’re discussing the Trinity.
A.  You’re a haunt.  Leave me alone.
Q.  No.  Go on.
A.  Wait a minute.  I was on the verge of nodding off, pleasantly listening to the music of the rain, and you come barging in making demands.  You want to talk.  About the Trinity, of all things!!!!
Q.  Yes…and your point?
A.  Okay.  I’m awake, alert, and able.  I really wanted to say pissed off, but the alliteration was calling me.
Q.  Don’t wax poetic on me.  And don’t be coarse. 
A.  You don’t like my poetry?
Q.  I love your poetry and I think it’s very appropriate for the subject at hand—the Blessed Trinity.
A.  The Trinity can probably be best expressed in poetry.
Q.  For sure.
A.  We were made in the divine image, weren’t we?  Maybe Tauler was right after all? 
Q.  Think it over, Faith.  Keep at it.  Why don't you put it in a poem?

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...