Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2014

I'm a Backslider

A backslider to me is someone who has fallen behind and then comes back.  I consider myself a knitting backslider.  Thirty seven years ago, after the birth of my daughter, I stopped knitting.

I know.  I know.  That's when people do knit.  That's when they make all kinds of cute clothes.  Not me.  Once my baby came I didn't have the time to knit.  I pushed myself to make each of my three children, their own unique Christmas stocking; but that's it.  You can tell that I put less and less time in each one.  The first was made out of felt and crewel embroidery fabric.  I made my daughter's name very fancy.  The second stocking was a fast knit with a sewn name.  The last one was four granny squares and the name scribbled in glitter.

The real proof that I was a knitting backslider, was the Christmas tree skirt.  Before the babies came, I started making a Christmas tree skirt, with the magi following the star around it.  I didn't get very far and put the project down.  Not only did I put it down, I put it away.  I didn't want creeping toddlers getting into my arts and crafts projects.

That was thirty seven years ago.

Not only am I a backslider, I'm faithful and I persevere.  Last year, I picked up the project.  I didn't want to do it.  When the children were young we had real big, fat, and tall trees.  I started the Christmas tree skirt with those trees in mind.  However, now we have a skinny artificial tree.

Still.  It doesn't matter.  I started it.  I will finish it.  I said it; I will do it.

However, I may not embroider the magi scene around it.  Although it looks easy and fast.

Don't worry, even if I do, it won't take me thirty seven years.

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...