Search This Blog

Friday, August 8, 2014

The Monkey's Taunt at Saint Dominic

I've known the legend of the monkey and St. Dominic.  I've even blogged about it here.  But I never heard or read what actually the monkey was saying.  Today, on the Catholic Exchange blog, I read a post by Sean Fitzpatrick which gives the monkey's taunt.  It's amusing.

Dost thou here write when all do sleep?
O vanity of vanity,
To drive men to insanity,
With teachings of inanity–
Far better would it be to sleep!

Dost thou here muse when all do sleep?
O, thou, dim-witted Dominic,
Thou dost neglect the poor and sick,
For thine own liking dost thou pick–
Far better would it be to sleep!


Dost thou here pray when all do sleep?
O scribbling scrabbling Pharisee,
Are thy prayers of such quality
They merit immortality?
Far better would it be to sleep!

I enjoy the part where Dominic tries to ignore the pest.  Isn't that everyone's first reaction?  

Imagine calling Dominic, dim-witted?  Or a Pharisee?  

Bulletin for Mary

I'm composing a blurb for my parish's church bulletin. Some friends and I are "tree huggers." We're into gardening a...