Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Odor of Sanctity

This post was circuitously inspired by "That Smell," an article in Dominicana.  Br. Paul Clark, op, the author, asks what holiness smells like.  He goes on to describe how the sense of smells many times will trigger memories, set the scene, make us drool.  It's a viable sense to reckon with.

I immediately thought of Anne Marie Schmidt.  She has the "odor of sanctity."  I know you're asking, "What?"  She carries around the smell of roses.  It emanates off of her.  She is not aware of it.  Her husband can't smell it, but everyone else can.

Some years ago, I was blessed by going to one of her retreats.  She is an elderly lady who lived through a concentration camp.  Her experiences are filled with God's mercy and providence.  Again I was blessed, with a session of spiritual direction with her.  What does holiness smell like?  Holiness, to me, smells like Anne Marie Schmidt.   I don't remember what she said; I do remember how she made me feel.  I felt God holding me in His hands. I felt all anxiety melt away.  All I felt was love.  May God bless Anne Marie Schmidt.

No comments:

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...