Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Christian's Function

Today I felt like I live in a surreal world.  I'm out of it.  I don't understand what people are talking about and I don't want to know. In fact, I'm glad I'm not in it.  I don't feel superior, just different.


Two of my adult children ran in the Falmouth Road Race.  I stood next to a man who told me all about the real estate projects that were making him rich.  (Why should I be impressed?)  Also all the big boats--yachts he has owned.

After the race there were celebratory parties everywhere.  Why would athletes want to get drunk?  I couldn't relate.  Just standing out in the sun watching the runners go by melted me.  I couldn't wait to get a (1) drink of ice water (2) take a shower and (3) take a nap!  I can see that my son and daughter were hyper after the race and wanted to talk about the race but if I were them I'd do (1) (2) (3) and go to a party at night, after I was dry, clean, and rested.  Maybe then I'd have a drink in my hand.

Watching the social interaction at the parties was an education in the "hook up" generation.  I don't think any of these young adults are interested in marriage.  Any thoughts of having a children are banished.  I asked about a young man who used to run in these races and I was told that his wife had a baby and your life is changed, after that.  (Yes, but isn't that a good thing?) Obviously, not to them.  Having a family would crimp their traveling, and buying nice things.

Upon reflecting upon the events of the day, I felt like I "live in the flesh but not governed by the desires of the flesh. I pass my days upon this earth but I am a citizen of heaven.  I am obedient to the law but live on a level that transcends law.  I love everyone but most think me strange and don't understand.  "

The thoughts in the last paragraph are paraphrased from a letter to Diognetus.  He tells us that living in the world but not of the world is the Christian's lofty and divinely appointed function, from which he is not permitted to excuse himself."

Maybe that's it.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...