Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Pray Before You Think


One time when I arrived late for the inauguration of a friend as president of his chapter, I saw that the room was crowded.  The only seats available were in the front row.  I was OK with that.  I can stand.  However, I noticed a man in a wheelchair trying to peer over everyone's heads.  I thought for a minute and decided to tell him that there was space for him up front.  So being kind, I said to him, "You belong up front."

Just then, the audience erupted in applause, so I couldn't hear his response.  Besides, he had some sort of speech impediment I guess, because I couldn't understand a word he said.  I didn't want to embarrass the man and keep asking him, "What?"  "What?"  "What?"

Quickly, I grabbed the handles to his wheelchair and proceeded to push him up the aisle.  Immediately, his arms started to flail and his grunting words became louder, but I wasn't deterred.  I continued, until, another person stopped me.  Puzzled, I looked up.

"He's the Sergeant-at-arms."

"Oh."

To say that I was embarrassed is an understatement.  And if I was embarrassed, think of the poor gentleman in the wheelchair.  I somehow managed to mumble an apology to him and crawl inconspicuously into a crack in the floor.

Going over this embarrassing incident in my mind, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't very well say that I would never help anyone, again.  That's ridiculous.  I just have to think, before I do anything.

But I did think.  I thought and determined that the man needed help.

So now what?

Mmmmm.  Maybe I should pray before I think?




No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...