Search This Blog

Friday, February 2, 2018

God Lights Our Souls

Today is February 2. The day has been known by different names.  In today’s secular culture, everyone is celebrating Ground Hog Day—a silly custom where a groundhog comes out of his den. The poor creature is probably dragged out. If he sees his shadow he turns around and goes back to his winter sleep. This is supposed to mean that there will be six more weeks of winter.

February 2 has also been known as The Presentation of the Lord. This commemoration is for Jesus being brought to the temple, Luke 2:22-38. This is where Simeon thanks God, “Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace...”. And where Anna, the prophetess, also gave thanks to God and spoke the child Jesus.

BTW, the presentation is a politically correct way of saying Jesus was circumcised. And the feast day was actually called the Circumcision of Jesus.

Today however, I am celebrating Candlemas. It marks the period between the winter solstice and spring equinox. The last of the Christmas decorations are removed. I am taking off the candy canes on my front door. I am cleaning up the last (I hope.) of the pine needles. The fireplace hearth is swept out. And I am celebrating by lighting candles all over the house. Let the light in! Take that Mr. Groundhog!

I am also preparing for Lent. I am starting to think of the best ways to prepare. I have composed a haiku in my meditation.

God Lights Our Souls

Morning light opens
Candlemas melting snow
And our sinful souls.

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...