Search This Blog

Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Intergenerational Book Club

My town's high school has invited twelve Senior Citizens to join their high school book club in reading You Bring the Distant Near by Mitali Perkins.  They call it the Intergenerational Book Club.  I thought this exchange of viewpoints interesting, so I signed up.  What's another book club?  I already belong to two!

The high school received a grant from the Franklin Education Foundation to do this.  We will meet next month to discuss the book, eat an Indian meal and Skype with the author.  This is the best book club meeting, ever!

Besides the discussion with the teenagers, I'm looking forward to my friend's interaction with them.  Yes, I'm bringing a ringer.  I talked my Indian/American friend, Mary, to sign up.  She is nothing like the mother in the book.  I just hope she speaks up and offers her thoughts.  This should be very interesting.

I couldn't wait to read the book.  I was so excited that I got the book from our library's Minuteman catalog.  It was an easy read.  It is a "young adult" book.  I think young adults will like it.  I'm not going to review it here because I'll be posting the book club meeting, next month.  I'll write all about it, then.

Today, the high school sent the books over to the Senior Center.  Even though I just finished the book, I took the book to review anyway, and think up some questions to ask the author when we Skype with her.  This is going to be so much fun!

No comments:

Sisterhood

  Sisterhood Two girls, who like to play sisters. Both wear different headscarves. One is a hijab. One is a tichel. Will we grow old? Will w...